Monday, September 28, 2009

Today's Mood Is...


I have said many times that while I am a meat eater, I have no problem with someone who chooses not to eat meat, as long as it is for a valid reason. By that I mean if you do not eat meat for religious reasons, or for what you perceive as health reasons, or because you don't like the taste, that is your prerogative and I will support your choice. But if you don't eat meat because of the cute widdle animals, you need to shut the hell up.

Recently someone I know on the Facebook put up a note about how cruel it is to eat animals. I responded with a light-hearted "won't someone think of the carrots?", and expected that to be the end of it. But it wasn't (as you probably already figured out).

Well, long story short, we went back and forth a couple of times, her making her points and me making mine. She did lean towards being a bit condescending, but I ignored that and only responded to her actual points (the crux of the argument is that I feel like fruits and vegetables are also living organisms but nobody seems to care that they are grown for the express purpose of being consumed, and they are also genetically bred to provide optimal value and maximum edible flesh per unit. The only difference is that they don't have faces and they don't make noises and there isn't some romanticized notion of Farmer Johnson tending to them and feeding them by hand while petting them. Other than that they are born from seeds - or from cross pollination, which is a lot closer to how we procreate than a lot of people would like to admit. We don't use bees, but other than that, pistils and stamens are not too far off from hoo-has and doodads - and there isn't an organization like PETA on the side of the lowly cabbage). Her response to me?

"You really are an idiot".

And it has me all aflutter. I enjoy debating an issue that I have a strong opinion on, and respect the person who has a differing opinion. But apparently this person feels that anyone who has a dissenting opinion immediately has no basis on which to stand or support their opinion. Now I am all pissed off about the whole thing, and can only wait for her response to her insult (depending on what happens next, I will probably update you here on what happened). But in the meantime,

TPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHH to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment